Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Embrace Life: Always Wear Your Seatbelt

I posted this video earlier on Facebook, but I feel the need to spread this message as far and wide as possible. We were learning about auto collisions in my First Aid class, and my instructor started a discussion on whether or not we believed it should be illegal not to wear a seat belt. The majority of the class (including myself) were in favor of the law, but there were just a handful of students who were against the law. Not surprising, all of the students who voiced their disapproval of the law had been ticketed for not wearing their seat belts. One boy made the argument that he would only be harming himself, but what he failed to realize was that if he died from not wearing a seat belt during a car accident, it could effect so many other lives. We watched another video about a boy who chose not to wear his seat belt, and when his car collided with another car and rolled, he was thrown out of his seat and slammed into the other passengers sitting in the car. The impact of the crash didn't kill the other three passengers; the impact of his flying body did. Even if there was only one person in the car during a crash, think about the emotional trauma their death would cause. Especially if it could have been prevented by wearing a seat belt.

My instructor recommended that we go home and watch this commercial. It's called Embrace Life and it is one of the most beautiful commercials I have ever seen. I'm not sure who created it, I'm sure the credits are on the YouTube page, but whoever they are did a phenomenal job. I don't think any two and a half minute video clip has ever moved me so much. Just watch it and you'll know what I mean. I promise it will be worth your while. And if you feel as strongly about this issue as I do, post this on your blog or Facebook. I challenge all of you to spread this message, and make people aware of the physical and emotional damages not wearing a seat belt can cause. Not only to yourself, but to the people you love.

XOXO
Taylor                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment